Over the years, researchers have studied sleeping and what happens with our bodies during the night. With the data they gathered, they reached the conclusion that the quality of sleep is given by the position you have while sleeping. It may not be news to you. I mean, you know that when you sleep in an uncomfortable position, you wake up more tired than when you went to bed. That is why you can find all kinds of mattresses and pillows on the market. The better the bed, the more rest you get.
One of the items that will make you sleep like a baby is a wedge pillow. I didn’t believe it until I tried it. I thought that it cannot be comfortable. After all, it’s just a triangular pillow. How much comfort can you get, right? As it turns out, a wedge pillow can help a great deal, especially if you have acid reflux or you snore during the night.
The benefits of a wedge pillow
You may be skeptical, just like I was when someone recommended me a wedge pillow. However, there are several advantages brought by such a cushion. Here are just a few.
- You can use it in several positions – when you sleep on your back, you need the head elevated a bit so the airways would be completely open. You can also use it when you sit down on a bed and read or work on your laptop as lumbar support. If you experience leg pain, one of the things that may help you is keeping the legs elevated. A wedge pillow will allow that as well. You can use it however you want, and you will benefit a great deal from it.
- It prevents acid reflux – a wedge pillow will keep your upper body elevated. That particular position will prevent the acid reflux from burning your esophageal lining. A lot of people don’t understand this, but a wedge pillow has medical benefits as well. A lot of individuals who have stomach problems use it, and they claim they sleep more comfortably than ever. There are even studies that confirm that wedge pillows prevent heartburn. As a result, your sleep will be restful.
- No more snoring – snoring is achieved when the airways are somehow blocked. One of the reasons for the blockage is the head’s position during sleep. A wedge pillow will keep your head slightly elevated, so the airways will be cleared. That way you will not snore anymore. I bet that your partner will be grateful for it.
- It provides more comfort than regular pillows – a wedge pillow is soft but firm, which means it can provide support for both your neck and your back. The most common issue when you sleep on an inadequate pillow is waking up in the morning with back or neck pain. A wedge pillow will eliminate that problem. It will provide the comfort and support you need during the night. You will no longer wake up feeling pain.
- It’s good for pregnant women – during pregnancy, comfortable positions are a rare thing for a woman, especially in the third trimester. That is why she needs something that can provide support and comfort at the same time. A wedge pillow can do precisely that. It can support the belly of side sleepers. Not to mention that a wedge pillow will do wonders for a pregnant woman’s swollen feet.
How to choose the best wedge pillow
Selecting a wedge pillow is easy as long as you know what you want. If you don’t know what you want, then make sure to do some research before making a purchase. The more you know, the more you’ll be able to make an informed decision. Here is what matters the most when it comes to wedge pillows.
- Filling – when it comes to filling, there are several options out there. You have memory foam, gel, polyester, etc. You can choose whichever you think it’s most comfortable. However, the most commonly bought is the memory foam wedge pillow. Memory foam is an excellent filling that will provide comfort and support. That is why manufacturers use it on mattresses and pillows all the time. It’s true that memory foam wedge pillows are more expensive than other materials, but from where I stand, it is worth it.
- Size – a wedge pillow doesn’t come in a single size. You have several options you can choose from. It depends on your size and on what you are going to use it for. Take into consideration the way you sleep as well. If you twist and turn all night and if you usually wake up on the other side of the bed, a wide wedge pillow should be the best for you.
- Type – not all wedge pillows are designed for a single purpose. There are different kinds for various therapeutic uses. If you want to get rid of snoring, sleep apnea, sinus congestion, or heartburn, a standard wedge pillow should do the trick. But there are several other types. You can find wedge pillows with different angles and firmness. Just make sure that the pillow you buy satisfies your needs.
- Hypoallergenic – a lot of people struggle with allergies, which is why a hypoallergenic wedge pillow is the best option. Usually, individuals who are allergic to dust mites cannot sleep on any kind of pillow. They need something neutral that will not affect them in any way. If you are one of those people, make sure that the product you buy has ’hypoallergenic’ among the specifications.
- Ease of cleaning – cleaning a pillow is one of the most important aspects. That is why the best choice you could make is to purchase a wedge pillow with a removable cover. I say that because you can wash the cover in the washing machine on a regular basis. You cannot find wedge pillow covers at the hypermarket, which is why maintaining the one you have is of the utmost importance. The best case scenario is that the manufacturer sells cases separately, but not all of them do. Keep in mind that not all pillow covers can withstand an unlimited number of washes, so try to avoid that.
What are the best wedge pillows?
First of all, I want to clarify that the most popular wedge pillow filling is memory foam. You probably know how it feels to sleep on it. If not, then you have to try it. The first time I slept on a memory foam mattress I woke up in the exact same position I fell asleep, so you can imagine the comfort. That is why all of my three choices are made of memory foam.
InteVision Foam Wedge Bed Pillow
The InteVision Wedge Pillow has a two-layer design. The 1-inch top layer is made of memory foam, but the base is made of firm foam for better support. You can enjoy the comfort of a soft cushion and the support of a firm pillow at the same time. It may be more expensive because of this design, but the benefits exceed the cost. Thanks to the channels between the two layers, the air circulation is improved, so you won’t get hot while sleeping on it.
This wedge is recommended for various issues. Of course, you can use it for the simple fact that it’s comfortable, but it also provides comfort and support to people who suffer from acid reflux, snoring, allergies, or any other condition caused by an inadequate sleeping position. It can also be helpful for individuals who have bad circulation, or back or neck problems. You can use it under your head, under your legs, or however, you see fit.
The white cover of the pillow is made of high-quality Egyptian cotton and is machine washable. Just remove it and wash it according to the instructions on the label. The good thing about this wedge pillow is that the manufacturer sells cases separately. So, whenever the one that came with the pillow wears down, you can buy another one. But don’t worry. The 400-thread count pillowcase will last a long time.
FitPlus Bed Wedge Premium Pillow
The FitPlus wedge pillow is filled with high-quality memory foam. When it comes to memory foam, the quality is dictated by how long it will keep its integrity. The more you use the pillow, the more it will change its shape. However, memory foam wedge pillows like FitPlus will not alter their form anytime soon. The base of the pillow is topped with 1.5 inches of memory foam that counters the shape of your body for soft but strong support.
The slope of this wedge is soft because it is 28 inches long. That allows a gradual climb that will not exert pressure on your muscles. Also, sleeping on this wedge will help with snoring, sinus congestion, sleep apnea, and acid reflux. Moreover, putting it under your legs will help with circulation and leg pain. No matter how you use it, the FitPlus wedge will provide a more comfortable sleep.
The cover of the wedge pillow is removable, which means you can throw it in the washing machine whenever you think it’s necessary. The only thing you need to be careful about is washing it according to the instructions on the label. Otherwise, the case will suffer damage. And unlike the previous manufacturer, this one does not provide pillowcases separately. Other than that, I believe this product is one of the best.
PharMeDoc Bed Wedge Pillow
Unlike the previous two wedges, PharMeDoc has a different design. It’s still a wedge pillow, but it doesn’t have a triangular shape. It’s more of a trapeze. It’s shaped like that for maximum comfort in any given position. You can use it under your head while you sleep, or under your legs when they hurt. And because it’s not a triangle, your legs will be more comfortable.
PharMeDoc is ideal for people who have regular issues with leg pain and circulation. Also, snoring, sleep apnea, acid reflux, and sinus congestion don’t stand a chance with this wedge pillow. The memory foam conforms to your position, which will provide a good night’s sleep. Finding the perfect sleeping position is easy with this wedge. The design will not allow for the pillow to get hot, which is a common issue with memory foam pillows.
The cover of the PharMeDoc is removable, and you can wash it in the washing machine according to the instructions. It cleans up easily and can withstand more than 400 washes. Try to keep it clean though. You won’t find cases separately for this model.
From what I’ve read online, people seem to be very satisfied with this wedge pillow. It provides the needed support, it keeps its integrity for a long time, and all of that at a low price. It’s cheaper than most models that are made of memory foam, but it will give you what you need.
All three products I described seem to meet the purpose for which they were created. However, one is better than the other. I am referring to the InteVision Foam Wedge Bed Pillow. It features the perfect angle, the two-layer design, and the option of buying a case separately. In my opinion, this is one of the best wedge pillows available.
You should never underestimate the position you are sleeping in. It can make a difference in your health, as well as in your comfort. A wedge pillow will improve both. You will get rid of snoring and other conditions caused by breathing impairment, and neck and back pain in the morning will be a distant memory. All you need to do is choose one of the three models above.