The safety of our children is one of our primary concerns in life, especially when they are very young. As you may very well know, children cannot speak for themselves as adults do, and they definitely cannot defend themselves, and as parents, we need to take all necessary precautions to do that for them. One of those precautions is using a nanny cam. It is hard enough that you need to leave your child at home, but not knowing whether he or she is safe or not is one of the worst experiences a parent can go through.
Hiring a nanny is always a tough call. If you are lucky and you have a mother or a mother-in-law to take care of your young, then you have no idea what the rest of us are going through. Hire a stranger to take care of your children is a tough choice that sometimes makes you forfeit the idea of getting back to work. Even so, we do it because we have to, but that is why we buy nanny cams.
Why you should invest in the best nanny cam
Most people think that the nanny cam’s sole purpose is to see if your nanny is taking care of your children as she should. In reality, there are multiple reasons, and here are a few of them.
- It gives you peace of mind – the presence of a nanny cam in your home is not necessarily due to the fact that you do not trust your nanny. However, we all know how people are, and even when you think you know someone, surprises may occur. Even if you are convinced that you have a good nanny, a nanny cam gives you the peace of mind that lets you go about your business at work. That is because you can never be 100% sure of anything, and this situation is no exception to the rule. With a nanny cam, you can access the live stream at any given moment, and you will get that reassurance you need to go on with your day.
- It is your right – some people think that video surveillance of your home while a stranger is inside somehow violated the stranger’s privacy. But at the end of the day, that is your home, and you have the right of knowing what happens in your home and to your children. There is video surveillance in many educational institutions, so why would your home be forbidden from being surveilled?
- A nanny cam can speak up for your child – a child is not developed enough to speak for himself. Small kids are shy, and they are easy to scare. At the same time, you cannot fully trust your friends or neighbors who see your nanny with the children at the park. You need to know for sure. If a nanny has inappropriate behavior towards or in the presence of your child, it is going to happen in close quarters. Not at the park or around the neighborhood. If God forbid, something happens, the nanny cam will act as your child’s voice. That alone should be reason enough to invest in the best nanny cam you can find.
- It will help you feel connected – the number of parents who feel guilty about going back to work is way too high. It is probably set in our DNA to take care of our young until they can do that for themselves, but parents need to go back to work, while the decision is rational, the instinct is not, which is why a nanny cam should help you put your heart at ease. Today’s nanny cams are connected to the internet, and the feed is live-streamed for you to watch whenever you want. If that makes you feel better, why not?
All things have cons as well, and the nanny cam is no exception. It seems that the presence of a nanny cam in your home may actually offend your nanny. That is because she will think that you lack trust, and while that may be misconstrued, it is not entirely inaccurate. At the same time, you cannot fully trust anybody, and your nanny, especially if she has children of her own, should understand that.
What to consider before buying a nanny cam?
There are plenty of models out there, but not all of them are what you are looking for. The best way to make the right decision is to think of some criteria that are meant to make your task easier. Below you will find some factors you need to consider before you make a purchase.
- Legality – using a nanny cam is legal in most states in the US. However, there are a few exceptions, and you need to know about that before you wake up with a lawsuit. Furthermore, some states allow video recording but do not allow sound recording. So, if you are from one of those states, you should probably look for a nanny cam that does not record sound as well.
- Hidden vs. exposed – this is a matter of preference, and only you know the circumstances that lead you to this decision. If your nanny is ok with it and does not quit, you can buy an exposed nanny cam. Especially if you use it just to feel in touch with your child. However, if you are suspicious of your nanny because you have noticed some signs of bad behavior, a hidden nanny cam seems like a better idea. Lucky for you, there are a lot of options for hidden nanny cams, and some of them are really difficult to spot.
- Power source – there are two available types of nanny cams when it comes to this aspect: battery-powered nanny cams and AC powered. If you want a hidden cam, a battery-powered model is more suitable unless it acts like something else such as a Bluetooth speaker. Otherwise, you can choose one according to your preference.
- Wireless connection vs. recording – this is a tricky one, but you know best what you want. If I were you, I would go for a wireless nanny cam because you have access to a live feed whenever you want.
- Additional features – nowadays, nanny cams are very smart and come with a lot of features that I am sure you are going to love. Some of them provide HD resolution, while others record video and sound. Moreover, some have adjustable angles via a smartphone app while others are motion activated.
What are the best nanny cams?
Since you now have all the information you need to make the right choice, you can go on and buy the best nanny cam for you. Reading some nanny cam reviews online may also help because you can get an honest opinion from someone who has already purchased a product that you may want. If you do not want to go through all that trouble and go for the best choice on the first try, take a look at the products below.
LeFun Nanny Cam with Pan Tilt Zoom and Motion Detect
The first product in this category I came across and thought that it is brilliant is the one manufactured by LeFun. It is not the kind of nanny cam you can hide, but its capabilities are a huge selling point. First of all, the camera comes with a wireless connection with multiple uses. You can use it as a baby monitor, and you can watch what your child is doing from a remote location. And the best thing is that you can even control the camera using your phone.
The LeFun nanny cam is fully functional 24/7. The 720p HD camera provides a high-quality feed. The recording goes on a microSD card so that you can view it whenever you want. The camera features a 350-degree pan and a 100-degree tilt. Infrared night vision allows you to see the images while it is dark, and it is motion activated.
This nanny cam has a built-in microphone and a speaker that allows you to communicate using the APP. You can receive alerts or snapshots just to see what your baby is doing. The camera is easy to place and use. The setup is simple even if you are not tech-savvy. The app is compatible with Android, PC, iOS, etc. The feed you receive when you are in a remote location is always safe due to encryption technology that happens to be used in the financial field.
Sikvio WiFi Hidden Camera with Motion Detection
Another product that may interest you is the nanny cam from Sikvio. It is not a nanny cam per se, but it is a tiny camera that you can hide wherever you want around the house. If you hide it well enough, there is no chance for your nanny to spot it. It can be connected to a wireless network so that you can watch the video stream wherever you may be.
The Sikvio hidden camera has an HD processing chip that supports up to 1080 HD resolution. It can accommodate a 128GB micro SD card, and it can store up to 4 months of video files. You can download those files no matter where you are in the world on your phone using the app. The best thing about this is that when the card is full, the camera will record the oldest video files in the system.
This camera has a built-in rechargeable battery. It can take snapshots when motion is detected, and the app is very easy to use. It is compatible with most operating systems. You have a lot of features such as a live stream, download video, playback, pause, delete, and much more. I am sure that you will find it most useful.
Facamword Bluetooth Music Player with HD Hidden Camera
Last but not least, the hidden camera from Facamword is yet another nanny cam that may pique your interest. If you want your camera hidden in plain sight, this is the product you want. It is camouflaged in a fully functional Bluetooth music player, but it records video at the same time. The mini wireless camera provides 1080p HD resolution for the best image. You can place it anywhere around the house.
The Facamword nanny cam will allow you to watch a live feed, take pictures, and playback, and it features a motion detection recording capability. All the video goes on a 128GB micro SD card. You can listen to music, but the camera is rolling at the same time. Nobody will know it is even there.
The app is very easy to install and operate. It is compatible with most operating systems, and it allows you to use all kinds of useful features. You can do real-time monitoring, but you can playback older videos as well. The device is battery-powered, and you can recharge it using the USB cable you find in the package.
At the end of the day, you need to choose the model that best suits your needs, but if the choice were mine, I would go with the Sikvio WiFi Hidden Camera with Motion Detection. It has all the right features, it can be hidden, and it has an affordable price. I think it is one of the best nanny cams in this price range. I strongly recommend it.
Maybe it is a lot of pressure for a simple camera, but a nanny cam can help you keep your child safe. It will be your eyes and ears, and you will know about your child’s well-being at all times. That is far more valuable than any price you would pay for a simple but efficient device. I am sure that one of the models above is fit for the job.