New mothers confront with a problem that not everyone can understand. I mean, not all new mothers meet obstacles when it comes to feeding their babies, but some of them do. That’s what I mean when I say that not everyone can comprehend what is going on. There can be a lot of issues when it comes to breastfeeding. Maybe the baby doesn’t feel comfortable while eating from his mother’s breast, or maybe the mother doesn’t have enough milk production to satisfy the infant’s hunger. The point is that what should be a piece of cake can turn into a daily nightmare.
There are various solutions for fixing this problem, but the most convenient and popular is breast pumping. A breast pump can be used in multiple situations, like the one I described above. However, women who are working can also use the pump. Or women who are breastfeeding and are required to spend some time apart from their baby. Either way, a breast pump comes in handy. And do you know what is better than a breast pump? A double breast pump.
Another aspect that is worth mentioning is that women don’t use manual pumps anymore. At least not since the electric pump was released. I guess you can see why. It is more convenient to use an electronic device than to do all the work yourself.
The benefits of a double breast pump
I suppose that you can already see the benefits, but not all of them are general knowledge. It’s true that a double pump will get things done in half the time, but that it’s not all there is to it. Just take a look at the advantages of a double breast pump.
- More milk – according to studies, simultaneous breast pumping translates into better milk production. The percentage of milk production rises by 18%. You may think that 18% is not a lot, and you are right. It’s not. But for a mother that cannot satisfy her baby’s needs, that 18% can make a real difference. Some babies need that extra milk. If in 15 minutes of pumping you can get all that extra milk, your problems may disappear. It gives hope to mommies who have that issue. It means peace of mind and stressless days and nights.
- Higher energy content – I don’t know if you know how lactating works, but it’s similar to supply and demand. When the mother starts lactating, if everything is okay, she will not stop doing it until the baby no longer requires breast milk. As long as the infant is breastfed, the mother will produce. However, not all milk is the same. Some mothers have ‘light’ milk, which will lead to an unsatisfied baby. You don’t want that. Using a double breast pump will tell your body that you need more milk. Thus the lactating process will continue in a more ‘aggressive’ manner, so to speak. Milk that has a higher energy content is especially beneficial for pre-term babies.
- Twice as fast – that is one of the ‘doh’ moments, but I think it’s worth mentioning. Of course, it’s faster than single breast pumping. After all, there are two pumps that do the work at the same time. That may come in handy, especially if you are a working mom. Also, that time is better spent with your little one. The fact that pumps are electric now comes as a bonus because you can do it hands-free. All you need is a special pump bra, and you can multitask.
- No wasted milk – if you are a mom, then you know all about breast leakage. If not, then let me explain. While you are using a single breast pump, the other breast may leak. You can’t handle both breasts at the same time, so your alternative is to wipe the milk from your other breast and wait for you to be done with the first. That is a complete waste, and it should be handled. A double breast pump, on the other hand, will not let that happen.
How to have a lovely breast pumping experience
From my point of view, a double breast pump is essential for every mother. You have enough on your plate as it is. If there is something out there that can make your job easier, that’s an investment worth making. But just to improve your experience, try these tips to make you more comfortable.
- Use a hands-free bra – if you don’t know what that is, then you are missing so much. It is a specially designed bra that can hold the containers while the pump is working. You don’t have to do it anymore because the bra will do it for you. That way you can do other stuff with your hands like reading a book or knitting. The point is that a hands-free bra will improve your experience. You don’t necessarily have to buy one. You can make one yourself. There are plenty of tutorials online that will help you make your very own hands-free bra.
- Go to your happy place – although the little one may have spoiled the entire house for you, I am sure you can find a quiet place where to go while using the breast pump. It will help you relax, you can use this opportunity to get some well-deserved rest, and the quiet will facilitate more frequent let-downs as the pump is working.
- New pump – I like to believe that all women know this, but I am going to say it anyway. Never borrow a double breast pump from a friend. The tubing is made to last a child’s breastfeeding relationship, not two or three. Also, think about the hygienic aspect. Do you really believe that it’s sanitary to use another person’s breast pump? Everything is for nothing if you use tubes that are contaminated with all kinds of bacteria, don’t you think? So always use your own.
- Bring snacks – I always said that pregnant women have no excuse for eating too much. New mothers as well. However, a snack, while you use the breast pump, is necessary. Your body is working to produce food for another human being. That will drain your calories. And you need them just to have the required energy of raising a newborn. Although some people say that counting calories is pointless, I think it is a smart choice. Eat fats, but the good kind of fats. Instead of eating a greasy burger, go for avocados, nuts, and peanuts. You’ll get the calories you need without gaining weight.
What are the best double-breast pumps?
Fortunately for you, there are plenty of options. Some are better than others, but the best way to find out which one is the best is by looking at double breast pump reviews. You can find them all over the internet. Mothers share their experiences, what works and what doesn’t. Not all women are the same, but you can still get some useful pointers.
Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Breast Pump
The S2 comes with innovative features that will make breast pumping very easy and comfortable. It has a closed system, which means there is a physical barrier between the milk and the pump. It ensures maximum hygiene and motor performance.
This product is hospital-grade, which means it’s stable and efficient. Milk supply cannot get any easier than this. The suction power is 300 mmHg, but it is also comfortable enough for you not to feel any discomfort. It can be used both as a single or double breast pump. It comes with digital controls, and the tubing is flexible enough for you to move freely. Match it with a hands-free bra and you can even multitask.
The controls will allow you to set the program you like, according to the rhythm that it’s most efficient for your body. For starters, the pump will work more like a massage device. That will stimulate your body’s letdown reflexes and will gently start the milk flowing. Then the pump will switch to a deeper pattern of suction that mimics your baby’s nursing. This feature is extremely helpful for women who experience a difficult letdown because you can switch back to massage mode whenever you want. The pump includes a timer and a night light. The noise is close to non-existent.
BelleMa Effective Pro Double Electric Breast Pump
The breast pump from BelleMa is just as efficient as the previous model, but I like it better because it has some extra features that come in handy for women who don’t have the same amount of milk production in both breasts. It is pretty common thing for the baby to prefer one breast more than the other, which is why the lactating process is more efficient in one of them.
The feature I am talking about is dual operation with independent control. You can control the left, the right, or both pumps separately, which means you can select different vacuum levels for your breasts. If your left breast produces more milk than the right one, then you can adjust the suction on the left, and so on.
This pump also uses a 2-phase pumping. It will start by stimulating your breast for an efficient letdown reflex, and then it will move on to expression. You can adjust the vacuum power by choosing from the 9 available programs. The maximum power is up to 240 mmHg. The system is closed for sanitary reasons, and it features an anti-backflow trait. The pump can be used both as a single or double breast pump. It comes with soft silicone cushions that ensure gentle massaging and comfortable pumping. The recall feature will remember your preferences and use them in the next session. The device is FDA-approved, and all the plastic parts are BPA-free.
Medela Freestyle Breast Pump
Medela is a popular manufacturer when it comes to breast pumps and other baby accessories. Over the years it acquired plenty of experience to satisfy every single need a mother and the baby have. This pump is a double electric breast pump that can be used daily. It is compact and elegant, and it comes with a tote bag made of microfiber. The beauty of this pump is that you can use it in other places, not only at home.
Medela has a lightweight motor and comes with a rechargeable battery that will allow you to pump your breast on the go. It comes in handy if you have to do it at work or while you are on vacation. The digital display is backlit, and there are controls for memory and a timer. The Medela double breast pump also features a 2-phase expression technology that will stimulate your body’s letdown reflexes.
What you will like about Medela is that you will also receive a cooler for safe storage of the milk. And because the manufacturer is aware that not all women have the same breast size, it has added two sizes of personal fit breast shields for maximum comfort and efficiency.
Although I think that all three products will do a good job, my tendency is to go with the BelleMa Effective Pro Double Electric Breast Pump. It has all the right features, and the fact that it can be operated differently on each breast makes it one of the best double-breast pumps on the market.
Being a new mommy is not an easy task. You go through so many changes, both physically and psychologically. But just so you know, you are not alone. Millions of women go through the exact same experience, and luckily, technology can help you a great deal. Breast pumping will never be hard and time-consuming thanks to double breast pumps.