When it comes to parenting, you can never be too safe. Parents worry about a ton of things, which is why they are always taking precautions to take care of their young ones. Technology has helped a lot over the years, and a lot of products have been released so that you can keep an eye on your baby at all times. It is a good thing, and it has made parents’ lives so much easier. Now you can hear if your baby is crying from the other side of the house, and you can also see them in real-time. However, there is another product that got parents overly excited. I am talking about baby movement monitors.
What is a baby movement monitor?
A baby movement monitor is the latest technology in baby monitoring systems. It uses state-of-the-art technology so that you know at all times if your baby is moving. I know that it sounds a bit morbid, but one thing is for sure. Sudden infant death syndrome is a reality, as well as a tragedy. Scientists know next to nothing when it comes to this condition, but there are ways to prevent it. A baby movement monitor may be of help.
A baby movement monitor is also known as an angel care monitor, and it consists of a baby unit, one or multiple sensor pads, and a receiver. The way it works is very simple. The sensor pads are placed underneath the baby, and they are able to detect the baby’s movements, even the most subtle ones. Each model is different, but if the monitor does not sense any movement for 20 seconds (or more), the receiver will alert the parents. It is the perfect device if you worry about SIDS or sleep apnea.
The benefits of using a baby movement monitor
No matter how excited you are about this device, please keep in mind that there is nothing in this world that can replace adult supervision. While it is a good thing to have a baby monitor, do not rely on it more than you have to. However, there are several benefits you can enjoy.
- It will monitor your baby’s metrics like movement, pulse, heart rate, and more. It depends on the model. Some even keep track of the baby’s temperature, which will help you know right away if the baby has a fever. It will not tell you precisely if the baby is feverish, but I do not have to tell you that any change in body temperature should be monitored.
- It does not have the potential to prevent SIDS, I want to be very clear on that. However, it can warn you of a severe medical condition. That will give you some peace of mind. We all know that new parents freak out about anything, so this device will keep your heart rate down, so to speak.
It cannot be all good, can it? While it is a beneficial device, a baby movement monitor also comes with a few disadvantages. Take a look!
- It has the ability to scare you to death. When the baby exceeds the age of 3 months, he or she will start moving. If the baby moves off the pads, then the monitor will let you know that your baby’s heart has stopped beating. If that does not scare you, I do not know what does. The point is to know this information and try not to scare too much. Some models have improved this feature, but it still has the ability to frighten you. Also, that scary thing can happen when the batteries are dead, so make sure to replace the batteries when needed and not let them die out.
What to consider when buying a baby movement monitor
The first thing you want to do is to check if you indeed want this kind of monitor. From what I can tell, parents either freak out because of it or have peace of mind. If you scare easily and have the tendency to be over-protective, this device may give you a mini heart attack from time to time. But if you feel you can handle it, then by all means, you should get one. Here is what else you need to consider.
- Type – there are multiple types available. You can choose the one that clips on your baby’s diaper. I do not know if you find that uncomfortable for your child, but the manufacturers usually take care of and design the device so that the baby does not feel it. If you do not like the idea of your baby having a device attached to the diaper, you can always go for the pads. I recommend at least two pads so that if your baby moves, he or she will still stay on the pads and not give you that mini heart attack I was telling you about.
- Video or not – some of the models you find on the market come with a webcam so that you can see your baby at all times. Personally, I have nothing against that, and you can check out if the baby moved off the pad. I think that is an improvement. So, if the baby moves off the pad and the receiver gives the alarm, you can at least see what is going on right that second. No more heart attacks for you.
- Batteries – some models come with a rechargeable battery, while others require AAA batteries. To be honest, this is a matter of preference, and you do how you see fit. However, I think it is more convenient with a rechargeable battery. That way you do not have to spend money on batteries, and you can plug the device in when the baby is with you during the day. Simple as that!
- Notifications – if you do decide that you want a baby movement monitor, at least get one that has as many features as possible. You can find all kinds of helpful features like a thermometer that will tell you the temperature in the nursery. If that temperature goes too low or too high, you will get a notification.
- Additional features – as I said before, you need the device to be as smart as possible. There is also one feature that I find to be very important. For example, the receiver works within a certain range, and you need to know when you exceed that range. If you could buy a model with an out-of-range indicator, that would be great.
The rest is up to you. It does not really matter what brand you choose, or how much you spend. The most important thing is that your baby is monitored at all times.
What are the best baby movement monitors?
Honestly, I went through countless models and checked out all kinds of features. However, when I was done, I was left with three of what seemed to be the best baby movement monitors. Here they are!
Snuza Hero Baby Movement Monitor
The Snuza device is one of those monitors that you have to attach to your baby’s diaper. You do not have to worry that the device will make your baby uncomfortable. The manufacturer designed this device from soft materials, and it is also slightly curved to take the shape of the child’s belly. He or she will not feel a thing.
When you activate the Snuza baby monitor, you will hear a gentle clicker sound. That will let you know that the device is turned on. You may think little of this, but it is actually a helpful feature. You will not worry that you forgot to enable the device. On the baby monitor, there are movement-rate indicator lights. They will warn you about infrequent or weak movements.
The Snuza device uses a brilliant strategy to monitor your baby. If it does not detect any movement, it will slightly vibrate to stimulate the infant. If the baby moves, everything is okay. If not, it will alert you that there has been no movement for 20 seconds. You will hear an audible alarm. The sound signal will also be enabled after three vibration incidents. You have to admit that the strategy this device uses will spare you many scares, but it will also let you know when the baby needed to be roused three times and it is time to check him or her out.
Angelcare Sound and Movement Monitor
Angelcare uses pads instead of a clip-on device. The sensor pad needs to be placed underneath the baby’s mattress, and it will sense every movement your baby makes. If there is no movement for 20 seconds, the receiver will let you know. The sound alarm will wake you for sure. The Angelcare device has a few extra features than the previous model. It has 4 rechargeable batteries for the parents’ unit and the charging cradle for the baby unit.
This device features a full-color digital display. The screen will show the room temperature from the nursery, and sound lights. There are a few other settings as well. For example, you can set the nursery room temperature. That way you will be notified when the temperature is below or over the value you set.
The Angelcare baby monitor can also be used as a night light. It emits a gentle glow that will help you see where you are walking when you go to check on your baby. It also has an out-of-range indicator. The indoor range is between 262 and 328 feet, and it goes as up to 820 feet in the open field.
Baby Delight Snuggle Nest 5.0” Movement and Positioning Video Baby Monitor
Baby Delight is yet another excellent product that will help you sleep better at night. You will have more peace of mind while your baby is in the other room sleeping. Not to mention that your sleep will improve as well. Unlike the other two products I described above, this one comes with video monitoring, which can never hurt.
Baby Snuggle is one of the first dedicated monitoring systems. It will deliver the baby’s movement and position in real time on your screen. You do not need an app on your phone because this model already comes with a 5-inch tablet. The baby unit is a wearable device, and it will already be synced with the camera when you receive the order. When the wearable is not on the baby, you should place it on its base for recharge. During the night, all you have to do is clip the unit to your baby’s onesie, and you are good to go.
When the baby is moving, you will see the movement bars on the tablet. The tablet will also display an icon that lets you know if the baby is sleeping on his back, side, or tummy. If the child does not move for 15 seconds, both the wearable on the baby and the video monitor will make a sound to let you know about the situation.
Best baby movement monitor recommendation
Although I love all three products, I must choose one. The decision is pretty difficult because they all have the same purpose. However, I will have to go with the Baby Delight Snuggle Nest 5.0” Movement and Positioning Video Baby Monitor. The fact that it has video monitoring as well makes me feel better. That is why I believe this to be one of the best baby movement monitors on the market.
There is nothing worse than worrying about your child, especially when you hear about all the horrible things that happen. I believe that one of the devices above will help you to calm down to a level where you are actually peaceful. I strongly recommend that you get one. It does not matter which. Whatever you choose, you will be satisfied with your purchase.
Last Updated on March 9, 2023 by Marie Francis